Friday, April 02, 2004

This one's for Adrian.

Adrian Guzman, it may be said honestly, has a strange and wonderful sense of humor. And he takes Funny seriously. I mean, he makes lists, thats how seriously. He has this curious way of putting away little nuggets of Funny for when he's in a pissy mood or bored on the train, a scene to take out and replay and laugh again, like a junkie takes his hit when he's come down too much.
I never really understood it. I mean, I loved that I could make him laugh without even knowing what I did that was so funny, and I loved that he would repeatedly bring up certain things that I had said or done, it was a terrific ego booster. But I didn't get it till recently, when I've found myself doing the same thing. It hit me a couple nights ago, when I was winding things down for the day. I was desperately trying to remember what my dad had said as we were washing the dishes just an hour ago that had given me some tasty chuckles to accompany my rinsing process. It was really bugging me, for no apparent reason, that i couldn't remember. i could sort of recreate the feeling it had created in me, the bubble in my tummy of something i shall call amusement for lack of a better word (i've been having issues with access to words last couple days), and i could get an ethereal whiff of the rhythm behind the phrase he said, and the accent, i mean, i knew there was a "jhi" somewhere, but i couldnt get it right, and it bugged me.
The next day I got it. He told me to rinse, he would soap, (thats the way we always do it) I said why, and with perfect timing, "dibijhun of laybhur", in a rhythm and shaping of mouth and tongue i will never be able to imitate, so dont ask. And if you dont know what he said, think UP/Bihar belt accent and say it again and again till you get it.
Thrill, Joy, Relief, excellent. But i only realized why i needed to get it when i told my dad i got it, and recreated the tummy bubble again, a much needed release at a time when i was getting knotted up about something that was going on that day.
Tadaaa. Nugget. Stored.
I get it now.
Thanks adrian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home